Sunday, May 4, 2008

Utahiroba Karaoke Abstract Art

People often tell me that they think I'm mental. I agree. I take pictures of food, can quote lines from Disney movies I saw as a kid, and make abstract art from things as you can see to the left. This one's not so artsy, but I wanted to capture what my karaoke adventures at Utahiroba usually end up like. They have a drink bar which for 1000 yen, you can sing and drink slushies, corn soup, and fountain drinks to your heart's content from 11am-7pm. It's not a classy karaoke bar. It's individual rooms, with a screen, two microphones, and a couple of remote controls. It can be dingy, but who cares for 1000 yen. You can pay 100 yen for 30 minutes, no beverages included, at the Karaoke-kan across the street and they have a 1 drink minimum (the cheapest of which is 380 yen. 380 yen for oolong tea? I don't think so...)

Steff and I have an unspoken 2 hour minimum and we are cheap. So we will always opt for the Utahiroba with the lemon and apple slushies, corn soup, and milk tea. If we're hungry, we might order a kalbi kim chee fried rice with hanjuku tamago for 280 yen, but for the most part, it's a bargain afternoon. We don't smoke, well, Steff doesn't when we go to karaoke. We usually consume like 20 cups of liquid and sing to our heart's content.

It also goes the best when it's just the two of us. Me, then Steff, me, then Steff. Sometimes we sing together, but it's always awkward going with karaoke noobs, cuz then they go hogwild and put in like 8 songs at a time and don't understand the concept of a queue. And they'll also put in songs that are virtually unsingable or that they don't know and everyone just twiddles their thumbs for three and a half minutes awkwardly. And of course, we sing everything from Aqua to L'Arc~en~Ciel, My Chemical Romance, random Chinese song, 99 Luftbaloons, and obscure anime songs. I miss karaoke with Steff.

1 comment:

jabberwock626 said...

bokura wa itsumo ishindenshin ;)