Monday, May 26, 2008

Hannari Tofu and Friends


So here are some of the many pictures I have of the Hannari Tofu and friends series. So the original hannari tofu, who is from Kyoto apparently, since "hannari" is Kyoto dialect, was this square stuffed toy series, the bottom of the pyramid in this picture. They're all sorts of different colors to represent different flavors from yuzu, ume, okra, etc. They're characterized by small limbs (they have hands and feet in the front), round eyes and smiling face. They look like they could have been designed by a six-year old. But they are very cute. I think the ones I have are the yuzu and the ume. Ume-chan is pink and yuzu-chan is yellow. I have other flavors and pictures somewhere, but they'll have to be in a follow up post, since I am so incredibly disorganized when it comes to these things.

Anyway, so the originals are the tofu, which have spawned many spin-offs and lookalikes. (see left picture) So the, I guess rabbit, the pink square on top of ume-chan is a spin off, something like a doubutsu series we saw at a game center. And my favorites, the manju-chan series. I think these are onsen manju, so steamed buns filled with sweet bean jelly, I think is what they officially describe them as. These also have sakura, ume, yuzu, chuuka nikuman, etc. If you look closely, you can see many miniature versions from keychains, to keitai straps, to floating mini bath toys.

I also have other things, like the cute pink onsen manju that's hanging there happily from Steff's mom and the capibara with the little butterfly on its head (from Steff). Ooh, I just noticed my gumball machine and the little soft serve ice cream timer also from Steff. I think he may have been either a birthday present or Christmas present. I love him. Who wouldn't love a timer in the shape of a soft serve ice cream cone? Anyway, I think I've done enough rambling about my soft toys for now.

No comments: