Monday, May 5, 2008

Suidobashi Cheesecake Shaped Shrubbery


One day, I think maybe after school or something, Steff, Miyu, and I went to Suidobashi's Tokyo Dome Amusement Park something or another. Anyway, I saw this in the little courtyard below and was like, "Is that a garden in the shape of a cake?" Lo and behold, it was a little shrubbery set just hanging out down there that looked like a chocolate cheesecake with strawberries on it. Notice the slice that's sticking out. It's half a strawberry!!! Sliced right down the middle~!! Only in Japan. Seriously. Only in Japan do they make shrubbery in the shape of food. I think this country has an almost unhealthy obsession with food (despite the average adult weighing in at like 90 pounds) and making unedible, unconventional things into the shape of various food items. I think it's funny and kinda cool, but most foreigners usually have the 'wtf is that?!' look every time they see something like this.
I have this stuffed toy that is in the shape of an ebi furai. Who makes a soft toy in the shape of a fried shrimp with tartar sauce? I gotta take a picture of it one of these days. It's not small either. It's a pretty big sized soft toy--probably about the same volume as a normal pillow...just in the shape of an ebi furai..... But, on the other hand, this is exactly why I love Japan. Where else in the world would you ever see shrubbery in the shape of half a strawberry in soil that is meant to look like a chocolate cheesecake?

No comments: