Sunday, May 4, 2008

Ryuuhou Ramen

This little hole in the wall of a ramen shop called Ryuuhou was right on one of the side streets near Kagurazaka station. It has one of the best recipes for ramen that I have ever tasted in Tokyo. The portions are huge and the average bowl runs between 700-900 yen, which is normal for ramen bowls of that size. They're also known for their chahan (fried rice), but I always order ramen. Chie and I often went there for lunch before we went shopping. Chie usually got the Ryuuhou ramen, which is pictured here. It's their signature dish with pork, lots of cabbage, vegetables, corn, bean sprouts, and a little quail egg. Last time I ordered it, it was 700 or 750 yen. They do not skimp on anything! Most Japanese people cannot finish it. The last couple of times I went, I ordered the char siu ramen which was my favorite so far! I don't have a picture of it unfortunately, but it wasn't like char siu we have in Hawaii. It's not really hard and red, but it was like kakuni, the fatty braised shoyu-sugar pork. There were 5 huge pieces floating in there and it was worth every yen of the 900 yen I paid. I definitely recommend this hole in the wall if you're ever around the Kagurazaka/Iidabashi area.

No comments: